Re: [TR] A question about dash guages (74 TR6)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] A question about dash guages (74 TR6)
From: "Mark Vaden" <markvaden@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:08:45 -0700
On 10/18/06, Craig Foch <cbfoch@charter.net> wrote:
> When I drove my mostly-restored TR4 home from Triumphs Only a few years
> ago, I noticed that the engine was running cooler than normal. I made a
> mental note to check the thermostat operation as soon as I got to the
> safety of my garage.

When I had Triumphs Only get my TR4 running again, I was relieved to
see that the car was running at 185. When I checked later,
someone at Triumpsh Only had just stuck a resistor inline coming out
of the temperature sensor. I guess if the gauge reads correct that is
all that matters to them.  When I removed the resistor the car ran
very hot! I had to have radiator recored, put the fan on forward (yes
Triumphs Only mounted it backwards) and then the car has ran without
overheating. I would say that the "experts" at Triumphs Only made a
mistake on every component they touched. I am not exaggerating when I
say they made over 1000 mistakes, which I have slowly fixed over the
last 4 years, with a lot of help from my local mechanic (Randy Zoller
British Heritage Motorsports - who is I recommend to anyone in the San
Diego area - best mechanic I have ever known).

 The weird thing is that no matter how simple the job, Triumphs Only
still managed to get it wrong. For example they installed the wrong
dash, after charging me over $500 for it, I still have it installed,
and it is already pitting. There was an extra hole in it, so they
welded a triumph logo from a gear shift knob over the hole. Also when
I got the proper plinth for a TR4, the brackets it installs to where
too short.  They could not get the windshield in properly so they just
welded it it - I guess I can never remove it now which is a bummer
since it doesn't seat all the way down.  Mismatched brake pads (I
guess Triumphs Only  only had 3 TR4 pads, so they pounded in one that
was too big - where there is a will there is a way), and just omitted
the clip that holds them in place - scary. They even installed the
seat rails incorrectly! They switched the passenger and driver rails.
In general if the parts manual called for a bolt, a washer,lock washer
and nut, They used the wrong size bolt with no washers, stripped the
nut in the process. I am really not exagerating Triumphs Only is
really that incompetent. I am not sure they did anything correct.

-Mark

===     http://www.vtr.org