[TR] Measuring piston position

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Measuring piston position
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:04:56 -0500 (EST)
Randall wrote:
> But, throttle position doesn't directly translate to piston position.

Interesting subject, of course.  I hadn't considered whether the lift button
was attached to the piston or separate.  In any case, my curiosity was prompted
by the spring question.

I would think you'd want the piston to operate through its own full range
through most throttle and airflow range.  If I drove a route I know and
recorded the audio as part of a wmv file I should be able to correlate the
piston movement reasonably well to the throttle position under different load
conditions, or at least see where on the needle it spent much of its time.

Whether it is running lean or rich or in debt or purple is a whole 'nother
question.  If I felt, for whatever reason, that it was too lean at some time in
that drive, I might be able to judge where on the needle it was running and
thus consider a needle thinner at that point.

Of course, it would still be guesswork and lots of data would be just plain
missing.  Mostly it would be interesting to know the actual piston (and needle)
behavior under real conditions.
--
Jim Muller, too busy to do such an experiment now

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net