Re: [TR] side curtain rebuild

To: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <tjwakeman@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [TR] side curtain rebuild
From: rbtr3a@cox.net
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:19:07 +0000
Teriann when I added my HT and installed my new interior. I positioned my frame
in the space that best fit the opening. We cut off the existing mounting arms
and remade new ones with the same profile just slightly longer. We then
repeated the process and tack welded the new arms in the correct location.
However I still had a very small gap on the leading edge of the frame near the
windshield. To eliminate the gap I welded a 1/8 inch piece of flat stock to the
edge of the frame. Doing this enabled me to completely center the frame.

A note of caution the soft top and the Hard top fit are completely different.
To accommodate the fit difference I first fitted the frame for the hard top,
for its opening is taller. To fit the soft top I positioned the door plates to
accommodate the HT.  Each of the plates are slotted at their mounting point.
For me I had to place the plate all the way to the top so that the screw
holding the plate was at the bottom of the slot. This would then allow me to
loosen the screws and drop the plate. When you loosen and drop the plate the
screw will remain in its original position.  This will provide about a 1/4 in
drop in frame. If your frame requires an additional drop you can elongate the
slots in the plate.   Keep in mind that you need to maintain a consist gap
around the opening when fitting the HT, for when the frame is covered the space
will then be correct.  I was very pleased with the work performed on the frames
by the roadster factory

I hope I didn't confuse you
Ronnie  Babbitt
Sent from my BlackBerry. smartphone with SprintSpeed