Re: TR6 Carburetors

To: RETWIZBANG@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Carburetors
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 20:29:07 -0500
Rich,

I found it interesting reading your opening line as I have the same
pedigree!  DPO replaced my car's original engine with a '72 too..

You didn't state the overall codition of the carbs so here's two ideas
to check out.  Worn out throttle shaft seals may be a leaking,
permitting the engine to draw additional air.  Additionally, you might
want to check the Temperature Compensators as they may be fully open
The TC's are also on the front side of the carbs, when viewed from the
passenger side.  These devices are roughly 2" by .5" and should have a
white plastic cover over them.  What you described should be the
mixture's fine tuning adjustment.

There's an excellent article on the VTR webpage (www.vtr.org) that
describes how to reset them.  Easy to do and it helped my carb's
performance.

Good Luck,

Gary
Digest
'75 TR6

> My car is a 1975 with a 1972 engine in it.  Messing around with the
rich/lean
> adjustment using the "lift the air thing 1/4 inch method", I find that
I am
> running lean, and there is no more adjustment in the allen screw (all
the way
> clockwise).  I also found a screw on the right side of the carbs
(viewed from
> passenger side above) which I believe is an air bypass which is
supposed to
> be closed after the car is no longer new (according to the Haynes
book).
> They were open - I closed them.  I thought this would give me the
additional
> richness to make a correct adjustment, but this did not happen.
Otherwise