Re: replacement of ZS carbs/pinging

To: RedTriumphTr6@aol.com
Subject: Re: replacement of ZS carbs/pinging
From: "ROBERT L. GANNON" <trsix74@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 18:52:09 -0500
I would like to give my 2 cents worth on this subject. I would hesitate to
change
and definitely not trash the carbs. If you want to set your car up with a
different carb system I would go to a Weber set up. It seems to me you would be
changing one set of problems for another by going to SU's. First question I
would
ask is what kind of gas are you using? High test gives me the smoother run.
Next:
Are your diaphragms in the carbs in good condition and do you have them set in
the correct position?  i.e. tab in place. Next. Does the needle show signs of
wear? Check under a magnifying glass. Next. Do you have the richness adjusted
correctly? Maybe its running too lean. What kind of plugs are you using? If they
are not Champion RN12YC then maybe the heat range is too large in the plugs that
you are using. Perfect example if your mechanic trusts Bosch or NGK. The heat
range is larger in both those plugs. It sounds to me that your timing chain is
loose that as your efforts of turning the distributor only eliminate the problem
for a very short time. Sure this my 2 cents worth and I am quite willing to give
change!
Hope I've been able to help.