Re: oil cooling unit and stainless hoses

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil cooling unit and stainless hoses
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:16:19 +1300
Hi Bob,

I don't know too much about the benefits of an oil cooler. My 2500PI saloon
(same engine as TR6) has covered around 135,000 miles without one and still
going strong. The compression ratio of this is also 9.5:1. However, here in
NZ the temperature doesn't normally  get much above 35 deg C in summer.
Talking to the local racing guys, they suggested that an oil cooler is a
bit of a waste for a car normally driven on the road unless it is thrashed
very hard.

With regard to the electric fan, these are a good idea, however, it may be
prudent to check the condition of your radiator. I had a similar problem in
my TR6 when sitting at the lights, the temperature would rise after a
while. I removed the radiator and flushed it out. You should have seen the
scunge that came out (and yes, I had flushed it 12 months earlier!). An
electric fan is a good way of improving the cooling and provides a bit of
security. There are a lot of aftermarket kits available

I know there is a way to measure the condition of the radiator by filling
it up and timing how long it takes to drain. Mine before I flushed it was
around 8 seconds to empty. After flushing it was around 5 seconds.

Hope this is helpful.

Bernard Robbins
1971 2500PI
1973 TR6PI