Poly vs. rubber

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Poly vs. rubber
From: rcotting@mgnet.ca
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:52:42 -0300

Gary - I have gotten the message time and time again that poly is the only
way to go.  For one thing, the characteristics of replacement rubber are
not the same as original so you wouldn't even be putting back as good a
material as was put there originally.  Stories abound about "new" rubber
bushes being replaced after one year.  I rebuilt my front last year.  Not
the easiest job in the world but not the most difficult either.  Gear up
with a spring compressor.  The fulcrum pin is a b***h to get off, if you
have to.  I ended up bending the inner fender well at the access slot in
order to get at the bolts.  Pay close attention to the order of the various
bits for the outer ends of the lower arms.  Seals, washers, etc. need to go
back in the right order that, for this duffus, took some study.  Take the
opportunity to replace/refurbish everything you think is necessary.  This,
like most jobs, should be done the right way the first time.

Richard Cottingham
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Spring is here and, if I can get the rear springs back in, I might be
driving this weekend.

A member of the MacDonnell Group, an alliance of companies and partnerships
committed to providing world class technology and consulting solutions in
the Environmental, Engineering, Management, Geomatics and Computer Graphics
fields. Visit our World Wide Web site at www.mgnet.ca. where a full
corporate profile exists. Send general e-mail inquiries to info@mgnet.ca