starter relay

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: starter relay
From: "Harmon, Mike" <MHarmon@sces.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:33:21 -0500
Help!
I just purchased a 74 TR6 in very rough condition.  I'm trying to get it
back on the road again.  The starter works, and when I first tried it the
starter worked but did not engage the ring gear.  I put a new ring gear on
the flywheel but now nothing happens when I turn the key. I can start the
car if I touch the two wires at the starter.   There is a faint noise coming
from somewhere, under the dash I think when I turn the key to the start
position, but I really can't pinpoint it.  My thought is that the starter
relay has gone bad but I'm not sure I can locate it.  What does it look like
and where should I expect to find it?  Can it be opened and tinkered with?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike Harmon