Re: New Subscriber - & Questions

To: kenjdavis@home.com (Ken Davis)
Subject: Re: New Subscriber - & Questions
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 00:24:32 -0700 (PDT)
Ken---I, too, welcome you to the land of the TR6. You'll find them
highly entertaining, and sometimes frustrating. They're loveable, and if
you don't look for make-believe problems, they will run a long time.
This doesn't mean that an owner can't wipe and clean everything on the
vehicle, as they are dirt magnets!

On to some of your questions---The oil pressure you report is fine, and
the relief valve doesn't open till the oil pressure gets close to 90
psi. Likewise, you can't increase oil (gauge) pressure here, if the
engine is tired.

Common replacement tires are 205X70, of any brand that suits your
wallet. I recommend ones with an H-rating.

Clunks from the rear end are sort of common. Do not be overly concerned,
unless it grows in frequency, and volume!
Check the two bolts that hold each of the rear lever shocks in place.
They come loose periodically, unless the bolts are secured with
Locktite, or fitted with longer bolts with nuts. Also any loose exhaust
pipe.

The compression of stock '73's is 7.75:1. It can be raised by milling
the head, as you know. This should be part of a long range plan on what
you want from this engine. I strongly suggest that you get a copy of
"The Competition Preparaton Manual" from TRF, or another source. This is
one of the best writings for our TR6 cars. They're inexpensive, and
loaded with good info.

The clutch travel seems normal as you described it. These clutch systems
are not adjustable. They're all hydraulic, like the disc brakes.

Get a good manual, like the Robert Bentley, even if you do not plan on
doing any major work yourself.  Enjoy the car!

Dick Taylor
'73 CF11143
L.A., Ca.