Re:rear sway bar help.

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:rear sway bar help.
From: edwin.mcguirk@db.com
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:05:48 -0500
I do not know if Addco's rear sway bar is still mounted the same way it was
when I bought mine from Addco many years ago but I had a problem with it.

The design used something like a U-bolt except it was not curved (is there an
official name for that?). You were supposed to drill two holes in the frame and
fish the "U"bolt through the holes so that two "studs" were left sticking out
the holes you just drilled. The sway bar bushings would then be attached to the
frame on these "studs" and the sway bar ends would be attached to a link that
attached to plates that were sandwiched at the bottom of the spring perch in
the trailing arm.

My problem occured several months or a year later. I used to autocross my TR6
often and that put a lot of stress on the rear sway bar. Even though I kept the
sway bar mounts nice and tight, there was enough flex or movement to allow the
"U"bolt to tear right out of the frame. My frame was old and rusted, it
eventually had to be replaced, but I do not like the method that Addco used to
attach the sway bar to the frame. I clamped a bracket around the frame but
eventually I had a small plate of metal welded to the bottom of the frame. It
worked very nicely.

I hope Addco changed their design in the following years. If not, I would
suggest finding a way to at least place a washer or some kind of reinforcement
plate inside the frame (it would probably have to be slipped into the end of
the frame).

Ed McGuirk
76 TR6
86 Rx7