Re: sport coil

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sport coil
From: edwin.mcguirk@db.com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:04:42 -0500
The deal on sport coils and electronic ignitions is, if I remember correctly,
that some sport coils are designed for 12 volt input. They have more windings
that multiply 12 volts to a higher voltage. The drawback is that sometimes
these coils cannot build the voltage fast enough for capacitive multispark
ignitions (at 300 or so volts).

Anyway, the point is that they are optimized to increase performance on a stock
type ignition and the electronic ignition is "too much". They put extra load on
the electronic module and the coil also gets too hot.

Not all "sport" coils are the same and not all electronic ignitions are the
same, you have to ask if they are compatible.

Ed McGuirk
76 TR6
86 Rx7
88 MR2 Supercharged