Re: Crossmember Damage

To: dandet@alltel.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crossmember Damage
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:16:31 EST
Dan...
Are you referring to the  front crosspiece that the diff "hangs' from which
is rounded at the ends and also serves as the upper spring locator? Or, are
you referring to the rear crossmember that the diff also hangs from and is
the shock mount piece also. My front piece was cracked ...discovered when
sandblasting frame.

I used a round burr in my air grinder to grind a shallow trough following the
crack. Then I had it welded along the trough. Acetylene welding. We then
ground off the weld bead to match the surrounding surface. Top and bottom if
the crack is through to the bottom of crossmember. You need to investigate
carefully perhaps even using a dye penetrant to make sure you get the WHOLE
crack, top and bottom. It sounds laborious but goes rather quickly. Do it
right...do it once.

HTH...
Larry Morrison
TR250 in Colorado