Re: Rear Drive Shaft and Hub

To: "Dan H. Detweiler" <dandet@alltel.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Drive Shaft and Hub
From: Dale Morgan <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:37:13 -0800 (PST)
   Dan

   You didn't state whether or not you had all of the
bolts removed or not.  You must be very careful in
removing the six bolts in the trailing arms because it
is an aluminum housing and they will strip out easily.
Use plenty of WD-40 or Blaster here.

   I would use a hand wrench on these. If you feel to
much resistance on any of the nuts then use a nut
cracker on it.  Other wise you will be drilling and
tapping for a heli-coil.

   To answer your question: it is possible to get the
whole assembly out of the trailing arm hole.  If it is
very clean and had a good casing.  One of mime came
out this way.  The other one I had to separate at the
rubber boot that covers the spline area.  You have to
remove the tie wires to allow the two halves to
separate.

   Good luck   Dale