Re: oil pressure warning light

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net, F.Meert@ogdsoftware.nl
Subject: Re: oil pressure warning light
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:18:37 EST
In a message dated 2/12/2001 4:47:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tr6taylor@webtv.net writes:

> If you have
> the older switch I'm not real sure how to test it, but would assume that
> the red lead would be placed on the only switch leg, and the black lead
> grounded on any part of the switch body. Same test--air pressure should

.

Frank and Dick,

On the 1970 TR6, the oil pressure sitch is a simple on-off switch, with the
body of the switch providing the ground. When the oil pressure is low, the
switch is closed, and the white/brown wire connected to it is also grounded.

Frank, when your oil light came on, I'm assuming the brake failure light also
came on? It should have, if your car is wired as it left the factory. If not,
I'd be interested in how your car is wired. The brake failure light is one of
the large red lights between the speedo and the tach, while the oil light is
the small light located in either the tach or the speedo (I don't remember
which one right off, as I no longer have the stock gauges in my car).

If it were actually the brake failure light that went on (and sometimes the
lights have lost their labeling, making it hard to tell what is what), then
you have a problem with the PDWA.

Pull the white/brown wire from the pressure switch and touch it to ground
(with the key on). If all is as it should be, both lights will come on.

As for testing the switch itself, Dick's compressed air test will work, if
you can rig up a method of getting the air to the switch, as it's a male
threaded body, and will have to be removed from the car. With presure, the
ohms reading should be infinite, and with no pressure, the reading should be
zero.

If none of this makes any sense, let me know, and I'll send you a diagram off
list explaining it - it ain't easy to explain in an e-mail.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm