Re: torque settings for Caliper bolts "Desperate" ( Long)

To: bradlnss@lightspeed.net, vtr@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: torque settings for Caliper bolts "Desperate" ( Long)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:54:57 EST
In a message dated 2/20/2001 2:23:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bradlnss@lightspeed.net writes:

Brad,

I know this is the general consensus, among both experts and amateurs alike,
but I can't for the life of me understand why. The calipers started life at
the factory apart, and were put together by semiskilled workers on an
assembly line. What is there about them that keeps them from being separated
and reassembled by us? As long as you use the correct "O" ring, and torque
the bolts to the proper settings, I can't see what the problem is.

The mating surfaces of the two halves were machined, but I don't think they
were lapped together. As far as I know, the workers just reached into two
bins, got part "A" from one bin, part "B" from another, slapped an "O" ring
in place, and bolted them together. I don't believe there were any precision
fixtures, jigs, or tools used in the process, other than a torque wrench
perhaps. Were there?

When rebuilders take them apart, what do they do that we can't do? Or what do
they know that we don't know? When the piston bores are machined, lined, and
rebored, they have to come apart.

This is not intended as a flame, I'm just wondering. Does anyone have an
answer? Of the gazillion pieces on the car, these are the only ones that you
are warned not ever to take apart. Of all the gazillion parts on the car,
these are two of the least complicated parts there are.

I've crossposted this to the 6Pack list as well, hoping someone (Dick
Taylor?) there can shed some light on this.

Dan Masters (with split calipers on his workbench)
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm