RE: Torque and bolt stretch

To: b_cshively@cox-internet.com (Chris N. Shively)
Subject: RE: Torque and bolt stretch
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:15:08 -0800 (PST)
Chris---That was a good explanation on the using of 'lubricants' when
using the torque wrench.  Allow me to add an opinion on the vagaries of
'bolt stretch'.
Often engine rebuilders and parts suppliers like to employ CYA and don't
like to reuse some bolts that require a high torque value. As you said,
if a bolt isn't taken to its yield, this would also mean that you
haven't stretched it.  When a bolt has been stretched, it is almost
always at its weakest area, that being in the threads. A simple way to
check this is to simply screw a nut down to the bottom of the threads,
by hand, to see if there's a tell-tale tight spot. I have deliberately
stretched a bolt to see if this works. I found that this is a valid
check.

Dick Taylor
CF11143
L.A.