Oil Filter, Brake Fluid and Panasport Follow Up

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Filter, Brake Fluid and Panasport Follow Up
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:29:56 -0500
Spin-On Oil Filter Follow Up:

I used to use the NAPA Gold 1516, but have switched to the slightly smaller
1348.  It's a slightly better fit with the clutch slave cylinder and
doesn't protrude down past the frame rail.  What you are looking for is the
size and thread pitch of the spin-on stub part...start with the 1516 (or
the filter that came with the kit) and any NAPA can cross-reference and
tell you which other filters will work.

Dick and others:
Valvoline Synpower Brake Fluid

I have one bottle that reads: "Synthetic Brake Fluid" (the one I bought
last year) and the other bottle that reads "High Performance DOT 3 & 4
brake fluid (just purchased).  All the other text on the label is the same,
but the dry and wet boiling points are higher by about 40 degrees on the
"Synthetic Brake Fluid".  I went to the Valvoline Web Site, where they only
list the "High Performance DOT  3& 4 fluid" but show a picture of the
"Synthetic Brake Fluid" bottle ...so, DOT 5.1, I think, is a synthetic
glycol base and is essentially High PO DOT 3/4 fluid.  Could just be a
product revision?  I'm thinking, since the boiling points went down, they
substituted a less expensive base to hit a better margin, price point etc
and just revised the packaging (especially as consumers don't know what DOT
5.1 stands for or what it mixes with)....sort of like Castrol calling
Syntec a synthetic oil, being allowed to call it synthetic oil by the
courts, but really making it out of hydrocrack mineral oil stocks (and
driving Mobil 1 crazy as Mobil really does make their oil out of more
expensive synthetic bases and Mobil brought the lawsuit against Castrol in
the first place)...now, tying this back into brake fluid, the Castrol case
opened up the legality of oil companies to use hydrocrack methods on
mineral oils but market the results as synthetics as the molecular
structure has been altered..perhaps that is what happened here?

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed...obviously, I need the warm weather to come
here to Cleveland so I can get back in my garage to attend to more
important things.

PS Results of my recent Panasport wheel question: I did buy the Anthracite
Grey Panasports from K-Speed and they look great next to my Signal Red
Car..I'm getting the tires changed over this weekend.

William Whitmoyer
69 TR6
90 BMW iX
91 CRX Si