Head Gasket Removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Head Gasket Removal
From: "Wiseman, Kevin [MMI/BOU]" <KEVINW@micromotion.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:42:11 -0600
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some recommendations on how to prepare the top of my engine
block for a new head gasket. I recently removed the head to replace the
valve guides. My problem is that I am now stuck with the remnants of the old
head gasket on the top of the block and the bottom of the head. Is there any
chemical that will aid in the removal of the material. It looks to be a
black glue that was used in the manufacturing of the gasket. I have packed
the cylinders and tappet journals with newspaper to prevent any debris from
falling in prior to scraping this stuff off. Thanks in advance.

Kevin Wiseman
Wilmington, NC
76 TR