Leak down questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Leak down questions
From: "Bernard Robbins, NEC New Zealand Ltd" <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:50:12 +1200
Hi Guys,

What is the "leak down test"? I've been meaning to ask for a while but not
quite got around to it.

When doing a compression test, I normally do all cylinders, and then add a
couple of squirts of oil into the lowest reading cylinder and retest. If it
brings the compression up considerably, it means rings are worn, if it
makes little change (less than 10 ~ 15 PSI) then the valves are the problem.

What additional information does the leak down test give?

Cheers
Bernard

'71 2500 PI
'73 TR6 PI

(BTW, my 2500 PI compression is around 185~190 PSI, and TR6 PI is around
210 PSI but the head is a wee bit thinner than normal).