Re: TR6 cyl compression

To: jwgw@home.com (Jim Woollcott)
Subject: Re: TR6 cyl compression
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:17:21 -0800 (PST)
Jim---Unless your engine is a pig on oil, fuel, and down on power, I'd
leave alone. Having all cylinders within 10% of each other usually means
it can run smoothly. The '73 has the 7.75: 1 compression ratio and when
everything is in good shape will show gauge readings between 140 -- 145
lb. At least that is what mine showed after a rebuild, and still does,
50,000+ miles later. (I check mine about every 6 mo.)

So far as what to do to get your engine up to near-new (compression
test-wise), it depends on how many miles it has on it.  If it is less
than 100,000 you might get away with a simple replacement of the rings.
To go to this much work tho, would'nt be in your best dollar interest to
stop here. While it's apart, it's good to replace all the rod and main
bearings, and grind the valves after installing new guides. Of course
there are incidentals I didn't include here that can add up.

If the above has already been done once or more, a re-bore of the
cylinders and a crankshaft grind may now be in order.

If you're going to keep the car, ask the local TRiumph club in your area
where to take it.  If you like this sort of thing, it's fun to do it
yourself.

Dick T.
'73