Re: TR-6 hartop question

To: Ben Heller <ben.heller@gses.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-6 hartop question
From: Bill McIntire <william.mcintire@wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 11:16:56 -0400
Ben
Bought a hardtop last year, was pretty yellow. My TR is
stool brown and looked like a bumble bee. Painted it and
found out that 18 year old paint sprays well but degraded
with time so now I get to do it again.
I used the original window rubber. To get it out I started
near a corner on the inside and worked the inside rubber
through to the outside. Once I had a strip started out I
worked it from the outside and it came right out. To get it
back in I used a piece of window blind cord. Wrapped it in
the channel of the rubber and had the two ends centered on
the bottom. Left a foot or so of cord hanging out on each
end. Get the glass centered in the hole and have someone
push in on the glass - not toooo hard. If they hold the
glass and push on the center bottom you can pull one end of
the cord and the rubber will come to the inside where it
belongs. I did mine by myself (cheap help is hard to find)
and the cord came off midstream. If it does that, you can
work it in the rest of the way with a screwdriver. FWIW
there will be headliner material wrapped around the metal
that holds the rubber.
HTH
Bill '70 6