Driveshaft removal tip

To: 6Pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Driveshaft removal tip
From: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 20:30:43 -0000
Dear 6Pack:

I know that this has been discussed before but I wanted to pass on a tip for
removal of the 69-72 TR6 driveshaft. (at least the ones with single pipe
exhaust)

Today I removed the driveshaft to replace the two u-joints.  There was
definite play in the front u-joint causing, I believe, vibration at
virtually any speed.  It was not necessary to REMOVE any of the exhaust
components in order to remove the driveshaft.  I did loosen the complete
exhaust system including removing the 3 nuts at the manifold so that I could
move the pipes enough to allow the driveshaft enough room to be removed at
the front.  I'll also use this opportunity to replace the rubber exhaust
hanger at the rear of the car.

I don't know about the later cars with dual pipe exhaust.  There may not be
enough room to maneuver the exhaust on these cars.  Just wanted to pass
along this tidbit.

Best regards,
Walt Fogle
'69 TR6, CC30689L