Re: cross tube removal

To: <SEBroerman@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cross tube removal
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 19:49:56 -0400
Subject: cross tube removal

> 6 Packers:
>
> I'm in the process of cleaning up my engine bay and I am thinking
> about removing the cross tube assembly (between the engine block and the
> fan). It looks like I can just remove the 3 bolts on either side and
> slide the tube forward slightly and up and out. However, it looks like I
> will have to put jack stands under the frame at these points to relieve
> compression on the cross tube.  Has anyone done this with the engine and
> radiator still in the car?  Would I be better advised just to leave it in
> place?
>
> TIA
>
> Steve  '72 Six

Steve,

Just put the cross tube back in mine last week.  No big deal.

Place a floor jack under the frame cross member that is under the front of
the engine.  Remove the six bolts securing the cross tube and then raise the
jack such that pressure is applied the frame cross member.  Apply just
enough lift to cause the sides of the frame to which the cross tube fastens
to bow out slightly so that the cross tube can be lifted out.

One should not use that frame cross member to lift the front of the car as
it will likely bend; that is the reason that the minimum lift should be
applied to free the cross tube.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (assembling after new paint)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)