Re: .75 wheel cylinders

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: .75 wheel cylinders
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:14:58 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: <Btp44@aol.com>
To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 12:31 PM

> Does anybody know why the wheel cyl. dia. changed in 1976? Was it a matter
of
> using whatever parts were available or was it made to correct a problem
with
> the rear brakes? Any detectable advantage to the change for street use?
> Inquiring minds would like to know.
> Berry

Berry,

As I understand it, the added weight due to the strengthened rear bumper
required one to give the brake pedal a mid push to lock up the rear brakes
rather than just a tap on the pedal as with earlier years.   The 3/4 inch
cylinder restored the easy brake locking feature.  If the 3/4 inch cylinders
are used on the earlier cars with the lighter rear end you'll be probably be
able to lock up the rear brakes by just thinking about pushing the pedal.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (just painted, now reparing damage from fender bender)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)