Re: .75 wheel cylinders

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: .75 wheel cylinders
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:00:32 -0400

> Now I'm lost - why would anyone want the rear brakes to lock up with "just
> tap on the pedal"? Unique autocross circumstances aside, why would anyone
> want the rear brakes to lock up EVER?
>
> If the rear brakes lock up before the fronts under severe braking, the
first
> thing that will happen is that the car will want to swap ends.
>
> Jim Hill
> Madison WI

Jim,

My earlier comments were a bit exaggerated in jest.   I've found its pretty
easy to lock up the rear brakes on the TR250/TR6  ----- about like a pre ABS
pickup.    I slammed on my brakes last week trying to avoid a guy changing
lanes; locked up the rear wheels but had no trouble keeping it straight.
(The guy hit my freshly painted '76 anyway.   Good news is that his
insurance company called today and said they'll fix my car.)      I've
driven these things for over 20 years  and have had no trouble with the back
end on a sudden stop, even with the rear locked.  Fortunately, I've never
had to slam on the brakes on a curve.

You  gave a good explanation of why one probably doesn't want to use .75
cylinders on earlier cars, best to keep the added force on the front pads
where it does more good.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (just painted, now repairing damage from fender bender)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)