Re: Press in jets/'69 TR6 carbs

To: 6Pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Press in jets/'69 TR6 carbs
From: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:02:02 -0000
Dick and List:

Here's what seems to really be happening with my carb/fuel/rich & ragged
running:  The car runs just fine first thing in the a.m. when the air is
cool and dense and oil pressure is at it's peak.  After thorough warmup and,
maybe, shutting off and restarting the engine it bogs and occasionally
backfires and I can detect unburned fuel spewing out the tail pipe.  It
sometimes smooths out, as well.

Here's the (one of) the puzzler; I can lean out both carbs so that the
sparkplugs will take on the white, lean look but I can still detect heavy
gasoline fumes.  With this condition could it be that the fuel I'm smelling
is going somewhere other than the combustion chambers?  It sounds like
flooding to me however, no leaks anywhere that I can see.

Anyway, I ordered some float chamber and manifold gaskets and will take the
carbs off Saturday a.m. to recheck float levels.  Opinions are always
welcome.

Thanks and best regards,
Walt Fogle
69 TR6, CC30689L