Non-adjustable needles

To: 6Pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Non-adjustable needles
From: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 01:13:52 -0000
Dear List:

I've made some recent posts regarding my rich-running '69 TR6 with
non-adjustable carb needles.  Lots of great input and suggestions and they
are much appreciated.  Thanks to DT.  I checked and slightly reset the
floats over the weekend, rechecked the sync with an air gauge, and checked
the operation of the starter boxes (choke).  Still running ok when cold but
flooding out when warm.

Today I received a new set of metering needles from Moss Motors.  At first
glance they are much thicker than the old ones.  I'm hoping that these will
help solve the problem.  I'll make a digital comparison picture and post it
on my on-line photo album later tonight if I can successfully remove the old
ones.

As I'm headed out to the garage to remove the top of the carbs and take out
the air pistons can anyone tell me how to remove the old metering needles?
I know that they're held in by a grub screw.  Do you have to use a long
punch and (gently!!) tap them out through the damper tube?  There must be
some sort of seal or o-ring around the base that houses the needle and
spring load.  I can't detect any retainer inside the damper tube (as might
be on later models).

Any 250 or '69 TR6 owners out there who've removed the metering needles?

Thanks and best regards,
Walt Fogle
'69 TR6, CC30689L
Woodinville, WA