New list member intro, Triumphs on eBay

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: New list member intro, Triumphs on eBay
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:45:48 -0500
Hi, Skip Montanaro here.  I subscribed to the 6pack list recently and
figured maybe I ought to introduce myself.  I've been a long-time reader of
(and infrequent poster to) the brit-cars and triumphs list, but just noticed
this one with I stumbled upon the 6pack website.  I own a TR250 that I've
had for oh, about eight years.  While the folks on the other two lists have
been a terrific help, I suspect the concentration of helpful hints here will
be a bit higher.

About five years ago the right lower A-arm mount broke at a time when I
didn't have garage space to work on the car.  (As it turns out, it had been
poorly repaired before by a former DPO.)  It sat for about 3 years until we
built a garage.  Off came the body, out came the engine (in went the lady
with the alligator purse -- no, no, no, wrong fairy tale!).  Got a welder to
come out and make the proper repair and install TR6 gussets all around.  I
took a bunch of front end parts to the powder coating shop, put it all back
together with lots of other new hoses, washers and bolts (oh my!) with not a
moment to spare... because we sold the house (in upstate New York) and moved
to Evanston, Illinois.  Well, I didn't quite get it all put back together.
I wound up towing it to its new home behind a friend's pickup truck.

So, two years after the move, I have finally begun to "finish it off" (dream
on Skip!).  I took it around the block for the first time a couple days ago.
I'm still fiddling with stuff, discovering new leaks, and scratching my head
about a number of things that need attention.

Some details about the repair (including suitably gory pictures) are
available at http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/tr250.html.

One other thing...  A few years ago I set up a little system here that
notifies me on a daily basis of new Triumph stuff available on eBay.  It
spits out a section that lists new items like:

  1957 TRIUMPH TR-3 RALLY CAR Original Ad
          http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592672703
  1969 TRIUMPH TR25W SHOP MANUAL~FREE SHIPPING
          http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592762444
  1972 TRIUMPH TR6 TURN SIGNAL SWITCH 72 TR 6
          http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592704625
  1972 Triumph TR6 Dashboard
          http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592758884
  1979 Triumph Spitfire Color Brochure
          http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1159192689

followed by a section that summarizes stuff that sold since the last run:

  Description                                Last bid     # bids URL
  -----------                                --------     ------ ----------
  1959 Triumph TR 3 &#34;100 Horses Can Do      $5.75          1
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592506880
  1960 TRIUMPH TR-3 Original Ad                 $5.99          1
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592441588
  1964 TRIUMPH SPITFIRE Tachometer             $16.27          4
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592435461
  1971 Triumph TR-6 &#34;Feeling Of Contro      $8.50          6
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592507751
  1971 Triumph TR6 Carb Set                    $81.00          6
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592524561

It's not perfect.  It breaks every now and then when eBay changes the format
of their search results.  I'm sure it misses some stuff and includes the
occasional Triumph motorcycle bit and romance novel with "Triumph" in the
title, but it's been keeping a small number of Triumph/eBay addicts sated
for awhile.  If you'd like to get on the list, let me know.  I'd be happy to
add you.  There's no automatic signup list, I just add people to the list
manually.  I suppose I should set up an actual mailman mailing list for it
one of these days.

Cheers,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip@pobox.com)