Re: Strange electrical problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Strange electrical problem
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 13:15:41 -0700 (PDT)
I've got a similar problem that recently started on my car.  My
electrics sre all hay wire and I need a new harness completely, but
here's what's happening.

I drove my car for the first time this season in late May.  Drove it
from Michigan to PA.  About halfway to PA, the o/d packed up.  It did
this last year too.  Definitely electrical.  It works for a while, then
drops out.  Then I turn it off and I can turn it back on a while later
and it works for a while and then kicks out again.  Sounds to me like
an overheating/malfunctioning solenoid (A type overdrive) or
overheating wiring somewhere.  When in an overheated condition, I hear
the relay clicking, but the solenoid doesn't.

Around the same time, the temp gauge started going crazy.  I thought
maybe it was due to higher revs since the o/d was out.  But as I came
in to stop for gas at a rest stop, the gauge quickly went from about
1/2 to over 3/4, in just a minute or so.  Gas gauge stayed accurate, so
it's not a busted voltage stabilizer.  I felt the radiator hoses, and
they were not abnormally hot.

So now it looks like I too have some problem causing my temp gauge to
go haywire.  It works fine for a little while, but after about half an
hour it creeps up to 3/4.  My car usually runs at 1/4, 1/2 when it's
real hot.  I haven't been able to isolate my problem as well as Kerry
who has tracked it down to headlights, but something ain't right.
Thoughts?

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/