J type overdrive help

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: J type overdrive help
From: pbrzozoski@netscape.net
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:39:38 -0400
List,
I am trying to rebuild my OD but I am unable to proceed any further because I
cannot separate the OD from the gearbox.  I recently removed the transmission
from my car to do this work, but I cannot separate the two.  I now know that
you should "engage the OD, press the clutch and then dis-engage the OD" before
removing everything from the car, but I didn't know that then.  I guess I have
the situation as mentioned in the Bently manual (page 324) where there is
"spline loading" between components within the OD.  All 8 nuts securing the OD
to the adapter plate on the gearbox have been removed but there is absolutely
no movement at all.  Not even the slightest crack can be seen between the two
pieces.
The Bently manual also describes another procedure (Item 3 on page 324) that
can be used to release the spline loading.  I was wondering if any one has used
this other method and would be willing to contact me off list to discuss?  Or
maybe there is still another way?  I would hate to have to put the tranny/OD
back in the car and then take it out again to work on it.  Besides, what does
someone do if the OD is not engaging at all?

For those who have read this far, the reason I want to rebuild the OD is to
hopefully correct a problem I have.  The problem is that the OD slips under
load when accelerating.  The OD does provide a load to the engine when
decelerating, but when I step on the gas to increase speed, the engine revs to
the "non-OD" RPM before the car begins to accelerate.  Without any load (as
with the driveshaft disconnected) everything works fine.  The engine RPM
remains constant while the speedometer changes as the OD is
engaged/dis-engaged.  The OD solenoid appears to be working correctly and 450
pounds of hydraulic pressure is measured at the test point next to the solenoid
when the solenoid is engaged.

At this point I think I need to check out the OD internals and to replace all
the various O rings (including the ones on the operating pistons).  I have a
tool to remove the pump, dashpot and pressure filter plugs, but I don't have
the special tool to remove the relief valve itself.  I don't know what I'm
going to do there.

If anyone has rebuilt a J-type OD and is willing to chat with me for a while on
his/her experience, please contact me off list with a phone number and time to
call.  I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Phil
Pepperell, Ma