Don't buy those SU carbs!

To: "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, <afterburn27@yahoo.com>
Subject: Don't buy those SU carbs!
From: "Rex Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 20:30:47 -0800
Hey Matt, I looked at the picture on the e-bay link that you quoted in your
e-mail.  Yes, they look like HD6's with horizontal float chambers.  HOWEVER,
the little device in the middle of the picture is the auto-enrichment device
(automatic choke).  These carbs are the rare models with this special
feature that was very problematic, and is now impossible to find replacement
parts for.  Neither carb in this pair can be easily converted back to a
manual choke, so I would definitely stay away from this pair of carbs!  The
other thing to remember is that used SU's are likely to be really worn out,
so you would need to budget for new needles, jets, and having the carbs'
throttle shafts re-bushed.

Rex Townsend