RE: TR6 tires

To: Jim Davis <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 tires
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:22:39 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Jim Davis wrote:

> Lewis,

Hello...

> I've got 215-70-15s mounted on 6" wide Panasports on my TR6 and I think
> it's too much tire. No rubbing or other interference they are just
> overkill for even spirited road use.

I completely disagree with the overkill assessment, 215/70-15's are great
on these cars. I've been using 215/70-15's on my TR6 for over 10 years.
Once I switched over, I was amazed at how much "more" you could drive the
car. Of course, adding nearly 2 inches of contact patch width does help
the cornering a bit.

The one drawback is that with a read pattern that has bigger blocks, it is
possible to aquaplane, but it's not that big of a deal. I've aqauplaned
maybe 10 times total in 70K or more miles with those tires, nothing
serious - it just got my attention level up 5 or 10 notches.

:-)

THe "planing" occurred during really heavy rain at highway speeds and
there was standing water.

> My $.02,
> Jim Davis
> Fortson, GA
> CF38690UO
> CF37325U

Just another $.02.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |