Commission and other numbers

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Commission and other numbers
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 14:26:52 +0000
Here is something from the "for what it is worth department".  On page 119
of Bill Piggott's book on the TR4-6 he states:

"...all of these TR's appear to have had two body numbers- a 'body-in-white'
number and a 'body trim' number.  The usually quoted body number, that is on
the aluminum tab on the bulkhead, is the body trim number.  The
body-in-white number is stamped on a metal tag welded to the body under the
left rear wheel arch, in a horizontal position adjacent to the bump stop
turret.  This number was fitted before the body was painted- i.e., the body
was in white- and hence it is usually oversprayed by the final paint colour.
There are no recorded details concerning body-in-white numbers, but body
trim numbers are in a numerical series very roughly equivalent to the
relevant commission number, and they carry a suffix rather than a prefix."

I have not looked for this on my car.  Anybody found this on theirs?

Peter
'68 TR250 (or maybe it's a TR4A with a 6 in it)