mystery holes; VIN's

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: mystery holes; VIN's
From: "Knight, James" <James.Knight@purchase.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:34:36 -0500
My '71TR6 has two holes on that surface.  (Actually, it doesn't any more,
but did when I bought it in 1982.) They were for the bolts that held a
bracket and speaker enclosure.  The radio had a "Triumph" brand name and was
a monoral AM/FM with slide-rule dial and mechanical station presets, so I
figure it was on the car when it left the dealership, if not the factory.

I used to crew for a showroom stock endurance racing team that ran in the
Firestone Firehawk Endurance Challenge sanctioned by the late, lamented
IMSA.  We ran an IROC Camaro in one class and a BMW 325is in another.  The
team acquired a parts car on the cheap from BMW.  It was water damaged in
shipment from Germany (immersed in salt water), but was a good source for
body panels, and some mechanical parts.  We used very little of it, and it
was resold to a guy who wanted to put it on the road.  He acquired a wrecked
325is of the same year from a salvage yard to get major mechanical parts and
electronics, and eventually ended up with a decent car.  However, the New
York DMV, which had told him, before he invested the time and money in this
project, that he would be able to register it when it was done, decided that
he could not register it.  I have no idea if this was ever resolved, but two
years after he tried to register it, the matter was still in the hands of
lawyers.  Apparently the issue was that all of the VIN's were from salvaged
cars.  So cars with multiple VIN's can turn into trouble if they are not
currently registered, depending on state law, which varies in this as in
many things, from state to state.
Jim Knight
'71 TR6, laurel/new tan