Re: Uprated springs

To: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Subject: Re: Uprated springs
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:26:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, KTnKT wrote:

>   Greetings folks,

Hi,

>    springtime is here, so it's snowing on Cape Cod!!

Mes Ouis!

> In any case, I'm
> still planning on driving the 6 this weekend. I'm looking for
> replacement springs for the rear of my '76. Moss sells the standard
> replacement, and the competition ones. I'm looking to get rid of the
> rear end squat, and increasing the handling. My questions are: will the
> comp springs give a harsh ride, and are there springs that are in
> between the standard and competition versions (uprated). Also, I want to
> avoid raising the car height. Anyone who's BTDT would certainly be of
> help.

I put the competition springs in my street car along with the urethane
trailing arm bushings. I run without the "packing rubbers" for the springs
(this was done to get an additiona 1/4" of lowering, more or less.)

At any rate, the ride is not that harsh. It's not a Cadillac either, but
it's pretty nice. The back still squats a bit, but it is now way better
than the stock set up.

I highly recommend this "upgrade".

Note that when you make the back of the car stiffer, you should give some
thought to uprating the front suspension too. I ran about one year with
the uprated rear springs and when I installed the fronts, the car was
transformed. I really like that setup. It is lower, though, so if you take
your TR6 "off road", you need to be cognizant of little pointy sharp
things in the road.

>     Thanks,
> Kevin
> Cape Cod, Ma.

yer welcome,
rml
People's Republic of Cambridge
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |