Ring Gear Question

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ring Gear Question
From: "Ken Davis" <ken.davis@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 15:16:56 -0700
hi all -- my ring gear has a number of mashed spots on it, and often makes the
coffee-grinder sound when I start.  now, personally, if I'm alone, far away
from people, it really doesn't bother me, but... with people around, it's
embarrassing to grind coffee while trying to start this damn fine machine.

I'm pretty successful at lifting out the gearbox these days and I'm wondering
about replacing the ring gear.

Does it replace on the flywheel, or do I need to take the flywheel off to
replace it?  From my research it's compression fitted, so with some heat and a
chisel and hammer, I should be able to remove it in car, without taking out
the flywheel.  Is this possible / easy, or am I opening up a can of worms
doing it.

thanks

Ken
So San Francisco