RE: TR6 Main and Con Rod Bearing Clearances

To: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Main and Con Rod Bearing Clearances
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:29:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Hugh Fader wrote:

> "Tuning Standard Triumphs" by Vizard (which I downloaded from somewhere some
> time) gives .0012 - .0020 as the clearance for the mains. Does this sound
> right?

Yes. If you are doing a custom grind and polish, you would likely aim for
the .0020 range, as the motor will turn more "freely". But anything in
that range of .0012 and .0020 is fine.

Also note that the oil pressure will likely be a tad lower with the .002
clearance number. But not significantly lower (figure a couple of pounds
at idle.)

> > I want to Plastigage my main and con rod bearings. Bentley
> > gives .001 -
> > .0027 as the range for con rods. For the mains, I can't find
> > any trustworthy
> > information in Haynes or Bentley. There is no clearance spec
> > that I can find

Have fun!
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |