Re: Trailing Arm Crack

To: Richard Seaton <RSH17@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Trailing Arm Crack
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:20:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Richard Seaton wrote:

>   I have a crack in the rear trailing arm.  What I am wondering is if it can
> be welded up. The reason for my doubts on welding, is it is cast aluminum. If
> it has many impurities it won't take the weld.  Has anyone out there had luck
> with this?

Seeing that you can get perfectly good trailing arms from any number of
sources, I would not attempt to weld a trailing arm. Not only are they
cast aluminium, the casting is hollow - it would take a really good TIG
welder to actualy have any chance of success in welding it up.

Break down and toss $25 at someone for a new trailing arm.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Getting ready to start on the body, floors, rockers, etc.
>
> '69 in the works
> Richard Seaton
> RSH17@msn.com

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |