camshaft and tappets

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: camshaft and tappets
From: Rob Pennington <robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 22:07:38 -0500
Well, I just got bit by an old problem...

I rebuilt the engine in the car about 2-3 years ago, including having the
cam reground to the S2 config by TSI and put in new tappets from TRF at the
same time.  I went to swap heads this weekend and got a surprise when I
looked at the tappets.  Most of them were badly pitted and so were a couple
of the lobes on the camshaft.  Bummer.

Anyone know a current source for good tappets?

Looks like I'm in the market for another camshaft, too.  I've got several
spare engines sitting in the garage, including ones with the early camshaft.

Does anyone know any tricks to get the camshaft out without pulling the
head on one of these venerable beasties?  I thought of taking the rocker
shaft off, putting some grease into the bores for the tappets, turning the
engine sideways and then rotating the camshaft to try to get them to stick
up in the bore. Is this a lost cause?

I'm only considering this because of excessive amounts of fun in years past
trying to get the head off other Triumph 6 cylinders when the studs have
had several decades in which to try to permanently affix themselves to the
head.  I've used penetrating oil, whacked a nut attached to the stud to
loosen it up, removed the studs, the rope trick, wooden shims, engine
hoists, and much sworking to get the job done, often spanning several
days/evenings.  This is definitely the job I enjoy the least on the car.

Thanks,

Rob
74 TR6 daily driver -