Re: camshaft and tappets

To: robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: camshaft and tappets
From: Btp44@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 00:16:35 EDT
Rob-A number of years ago, I changed the cam without removing the head. I
think I did it by removing the pan, pushing the lifters up enough to clear
the cam lobes and "cocking" in the bores to hold them in place. Heavy grease
would help, as would a few extra hands with magnetic grabbers if all else
fails. After the cam is removed then out comes the old lifters and in with
the new before replacing the cam. Don't forget to remove the fuel pump if you
are still using the stock mechanical one. Also \, the dist.. Wonder why the
factory didn't make the opening in the head big enough to take the lifters
out the top?
Berry