Re: Wind in my hair, finally!

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wind in my hair, finally!
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:17:10 -0400
Larry,

I9m posting this answer up on the list because I9ve already gotten a few
similar questions.

First the Jet-Hot.  That cost $217 including return shipping.  They did a
really nice job!  I got the base coat covered with a cast iron gray finish
(the silver base coat was too bright for me, but it is cheaper).

Concerning the exhaust, I'll list what I did to make it work to my
satisfaction.

- the welding holding the pipes to the flange was a bit rough on the inside
of the pipe. Since I wanted performance, I used a die grinder to clean-up
the welding and to "match" the ports in the flange to the ports in the head
(see David Vizard's book)

- couldn't get one of the nuts on the stud due to interference from a
collector pipe.  Solution is to use an Allen head bolt, in place of this
stud and nut, that just squeezes by the pipe.

- had to enlarge one of the holes on the flange to allow the header to slide
onto the studs easily (you will see which one when you try to fit the
header). Use die grinder to enlarge

- used cold chisel to knock-off splatter on outside of header before sending
to Jet-Hot, would have caused a rough finish in spots

- on the 250, had to use die grinder to remove about 1/8" of the front
gusset to allow for some clearance during acceleration.

I think that is about it except to say that all this fitting should be done
BEFORE you pay to have the header coated!

Peter
'68 TR250