Re: Wanted: suggestions for a travel kit

To: jay_welch@juno.com
Subject: Re: Wanted: suggestions for a travel kit
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:17:34 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I used to carry a fairly comprehensive set of tools on any trip that I
made with my TR6. However, over the years I have whittled this down
considerably. One reason was that I found that on long journeys,
co-tourers really reject the idea of not being able to bring items owing
to the reduced space that said tools take up. This is especially true on
return trips where said co-tourer could not purchase this/that owing to
space concerns.

But, the suggestions made  (that I've seen) are pretty good. Just remember
that it's easier to bring a container for fluid than the fluid itself...
so if you have a hose failure on route to wherever, that babbling brook
can be a source for emergency coolant. Why bring 4 quarts of Castrol 20/50
when you can but it from any number of sources. Besides, if your car is
leaking/loosing that much fluid, I wouldn't be out of line to suggest
that perhaps using this particular car might not be the wisest choice for
this trip.

I do carry a couple of screwdrivers, a torque wrench (this is a habit that
simply will not die, contact me off-list for details), two each of 7/16,
1/2, 9/16 wrenches, a set of deep sockets and rachet (3/8 drive) and a few
odd things (like a couple of "ignition wrenches" to fix any small fittings
that are problematic). That's about it. I use a plastic tool box that is
about 14x5x4. If I think I might have a failure (the clutch MC is a case
in point), then I might make up a bag with "kits" like clutch MC seals, a
carb kit (mainly for the spare diaphragm) and a few other odds and ends.
Duct tape and tie wraps are a good idea.

BUT - I do emphasize that I have now concluded that if my car is at all
marginal, I'll take the dairly driver wherever. When I do go on a long
trip in the TR6, I make sure that everything is in top condition before I
roll the car out of the garage.

With now more than 120K miles on the car, I still have only had two "tow
me home" episodes, one was a carb. fire (don't ask, suffice to say the
Webers are on the race car now!) the other was a broken differential (and
the only reason I had to get towed was it was "uphill" to my house (and a
big hill at that) but under .5 miles.

Doing your preventative maintenance takes a lot of the "thrill" out of
British Motoring. This can be a good thing.

C ya,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |