TR6 performance motor

To: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>, "6 Pack"
Subject: TR6 performance motor
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:48:46 -0500
Shane Ingate wrote:

> It is one thing to pick out some items from a vendors catalog,
> and yet another to integrate them into a working system.

Absolutely true. As a very rough estimate, a third of the engine budget may
go to making it fast, another third to making it last, and the final third
for development costs. Not everything will work the way the catalogs claim,
not all of those neat-looking speedy bits will work well with each other,
and there's no single formula for building a strong and reliable engine.

> If $2500 could build a reliable-and-driveable 170hp TR6
> motor, we all would have done it years ago, and stock
> motors would exist only in museums and concourse cars.

It's no trick to spend that $2500 just on the proper rods and pistons for
longevity . . . and the engine still won't produce a single extra
horsepower. And without a lot of expensive work done to the crank, it won't
last long at the upper reaches of the tach either.

> The performance TR6 motor is expensive to build.  For less
> money, I could easily shoe-horn a GT-40 crate motor, but
> that is not what I am after.

Exactly: If you want to build a proper Triumph--as opposed to a
Triumph-bodied Corvette or Mustang--starting with a well prepared Triumph
engine is the only way to go.

Jim Hill
Madison WI