RE: Heart (engine) transplants

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Heart (engine) transplants
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:21:59 -0500
William:

That's the "Big Six"..engine code M30, I think.  An E30 (88-91 325) body
M20 "i" motor might fit and brings 168hp stock the table out of 2.5L,
chipped it's about 178 and you can get 200hp within a reasonable
budget.  The engine leans over to the passenger side by design for a lower
hood line.     The M20 is a decent motor as long as you change the cam belt
on time (mine has 147K and factory compression readings), but not in great
demand in the BMW circles due to its age and design (SOHC and 2 valves per
cylinder) vs. later BMW engines.  If you decide to go this route, avoid the
earlier and similar-looking 2.7L "eta" engines..they were built for fuel
economy and low revs.