RE: Coolant

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Coolant
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:30:21 -0500
Bob:

Using G12 or Dex-Cool red coolant is a no-no...it eats brass radiator
solder.  G12 is for aluminum radiator cars only and does last 5
years/100K.  When it first came out, everyone said it was ok for old
cars.  In fact, I still have a bottle that says so...partner to the bottle
that I put in my TR6 a few years ago before I knew better.  But today's
bottles say for aluminum radiators only.

If you want to use long-life coolant, use G-05...which is sold by Valvoline
and is safe for older car radiators. It's hard to find the Valvoline-brand
stuff, but Ford Premium Gold is the same thing..it is gold-colored...Ford
also has the red (G12) and green (the old stuff).

PS A 50:50 mix is fine.  Don't go more than 60% Coolant:40% water (heat
transfer properties become lower with higher coolant percentages over
60%)....and use bottled distilled water too.