TR250 muffler problems

To: "6pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR250 muffler problems
From: Andrew Packard <apackard@triad.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 20:46:39 -0500
You'd think that buying a brand new muffler would resolve any issues I had with
the old one, but I think the muffler Moss sent to me is faulty.  I ordered a
stock, "mild steel" muffler, and after getting up to speed on the highway
(60-70 mph) I began to smell something smouldering.  I pulled off into a gas
station and found, in the front R area of the trunk floor, my outdoor-type
carpet melted in the area just above the entry point of the muffler.  The
muffler got so hot that the steel baked to a rust colored brown.  It had to
have gotten really warm to melt the carpet through the trunk floor pan with
adequate clearance for the muffler.  I'm assuming the muffler is defective and
I am planning to send it back to Moss, but I am open to other ideas of the
cause of my problem or stories of similar muffler problems.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Andy
TR250