Re: Rear Hubs

To: "The Romagni's" <mrdr@buckeyeweb.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Hubs
From: "Andrew Packard" <apackard@triad.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 20:27:59 -0500
If your dust shields are really stiff, take a hair dryer to them for a few
minutes to make them pliable enough to turn them back.  You'll likely have
to rewire the dust boot and the dust shields when you reassemble, just be
sure to overlap and wrap with tie wire before the shaft flanges are attached
to the diff.

My understanding is that a rebuild of a rear end can be quite expensive,
assuming that the ring and pinion gears are to be replaced.  This set of
parts is near $300.  Add for the new seals and bearings and you will quickly
get to near $500 before labor.  I replaced my TR250 diff with a used TR6 one
who's history was well known by my British car mechanic.  He renewed the
three seals and charged me $450 with my core.  I would have been looking at
over $800 in parts and labor to rebuild my old diff.  Good luck with your
project.  Once you remove the rear exhaust and the bolts to the drive shaft
and stub axles, the diff is easy to remove with a floor jack underneath it.
Beware of a loose front right stud and the rear rubber mount sleeves being
rusted to the rear stud(s).
Andy
TR250