Re: Undercoating questions...

To: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Undercoating questions...
From: "David J Stauffacher" <dstauffa@csc.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 07:48:11 -0800
Richard,

I used a clear undercoat on my freshly repainted TR6.  It has all the
protective properties of the tar type undercoating but doesn't cover up the
color of the wheel wells.  To the casual observer, it is hard to tell that
the tub had been undercoated.  I picked the stuff up at the local body
shop/paint supplier.
For sound deadening, I used the aluminum coated bubble insulation on all
the interior surfaces, especially the transmission tunnel.  Sure made a
world of difference!

Best of luck.

David J. Stauffacher
1970 TR6 CP51649
Ramona, Ca

  I trying to figure out whether I should undercoat my car or not. It had a
black tar type undercoat on it in the inner wing areas.
  This car will not be a trailer queen, since I want to reap the rewards
(or
punishment) of my hard labor. I do plan on driving it quite often, but not
in
the rain or winter.
  The reasons I feel undercoat is justified is first and foremost RUST
PROOFING, then sound deading.
  I've spoke with a couple of people who show their cars and  they speak
against undercoating, "judges think you are trying to hid something."
  I plan on using the Rhino truck bead liner as undercoating, it can be
sprayed thinner for my application. I also want to use it inside on the
floorboards.
  The car will be shown some, just to see how well she stacks up to other
cars.

  I would appreciate any input, and what do car judges look at in shows?

TIA!!!