Re: Benefits of K&N Air filters

To: Alan & Debbie Lindner <theedge@cts.com>
Subject: Re: Benefits of K&N Air filters
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 11:37:21 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Alan & Debbie Lindner wrote:

> The K&N air filters allow the air to go through to the carbs with less
> restriction, but is a real performance gain realized on our TR6s?

Real performance? I guess so. Figure a couple HP max.

The advantage is that if you then add a haeder and free-flow exhaust (or
other stuff like a cam), the air filter does not factor in as the limiting
factor.

> If so, at what RPM?

All RPM's, but you will find less restriction in the upper rev. band.

> Is the engine louder?

Not really.

> Finally, is it better to get the ones that use the standard air box or
> use the open frame design?

This truely depends on what you are trying to do. If you compete and run
ina stock class, you can only change the elements, so your decision is
made for you. If you want to dress up the engine compartment - the exposed
filters do add some cachet.

FWIW, I've been using them in my TR6's for about 7 or 8 years. I/m a very
satisfied user of the product.

> Thanks
> Alan

> Alan Lindner
> '72 TR6 French Blue
> CC75676L
> San Diego, CA

Good luck!
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |