Re: Benefits of K&N Air filters

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Benefits of K&N Air filters
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:55:55 -0500
Gary Fluke asked:

> What does the induction sound like around 2500-3000 RPM?  I like the sound
> of ripping canvas, especially of the V-12 kind.

At 2500-3000 rpm, the induction noise through the K&Ns is low-frequency, and
pleasantly rounds out the whole sound package.

FWIW, the reason why I stayed with the 6 and not go the V8 route is based on
the music the 6 makes.  I'm quite mad, but allow me the following
observations:
    - ditching the mechanical fan for an electric fan gets rid of that
obnoxious whooshing sound which interferes with the induction and mechanical
valve sound
    - Monza's at 1800-2300 rpm sound just like an MGB.  One reason why I
always hurry through this band
    - 2500-4000 is classic Brit straight-6 sound, a bass note that is
unmatched by any car.  Jags tend to sound a bit fussy here, but the Triumph
and Healey motors sound great.
    - 4000-5000 has an edge to it, an introduction of things to come
    - 5200 rpm and up is where life begins.  Whenever my car has been on the
dyno, and the motor hits 5200-6000, people stop, their eyes grow wide, and
Man, do they smile.  I've had died-in-the-wool V8 nuts tell me it is a
gorgeous engine note, and that it sounds "just like a Ferrari" (d'oh).

I've never heard a Triumph 6 turn 7000 rpm, but I have heard Jags, Chebbys,
slant-6s and Bimmers. I hope I'm making the right decision in building my
motor (fingers crossed) to be able to turn 7K+.

Saw the new Nissan 350Z yesterday.  Awesome looking car, and I wanted one so
badly.  Then it started, and I remembered why I dislike V6s so much; a V6
sounds just like two 3-cylinder Saabs.  A 350Z will never grace my garage.

Shane Ingate in Maryland